A short little post with some WIP shots of my latest painting. I've been taking the opportunity to work back through some of my thumbnail sketches from right after I got back from the IMC last year. And this frost giant has been lurking around in my sketchbook just waiting to find a piece of unsuspecting canvas. There's obviously a long ways to go in the painting above, but I'm really digging the blues in the underpainting so far, I'll have to see how much of that stays, and in turn, see how much it forces me to change in the figures in the foreground.
The sketches for our three adventurers were pretty straightforward, although I'm sure our neighbors think I'm now truly crazy - I shot everything behind our garage (hey, the light was right...). And just for kicks - the dwarf up top started out as me snarling with a snow shovel, I'll let your imagination do the work on that one, as I don't think I'll let that reference see the light of day.
And, here's the origin of our starring giant/titan. I had been wanting to make a maquette for a while now, and this seemed the perfect opportunity. They are absolutely fantastic tools for finding value reference, and damn fun to build as well. I found that my sketches never quite got to what I was looking for in the giant's face, so I figured I would kind of "feel" everything out in the clay. It worked quite well, but I found that the maquette ended up with a bit of a "slow" feeling in the face, the tight drawing turned out to be a bit of a blend of thumbnail sketch and model. A good learning experience in all, and I'm really looking forward to getting this one finished up.